Energy Audits in Pittsburgh
What is an Energy Audit?
Energy Audits, sometimes called Energy Assessment, are a comprehensive inspection of all building systems, how they perform independently and how they interact with each other. Often times companies offer inspections called 'energy audits' when attempting to sell windows or HVAC systems. These are not Energy Audits. They are piecemeal partial inspections used to generate data with an intended result. That result will generally steer you to buy their product.
Tests Conducted in a Standard Energy Audit
- Exterior Inspection: A thorough walk around of the building in conducted to determine drainage issues that may be affecting the moisture levels of the home, air infiltration issues, ice dams, natural shading and safety concerns.
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels:
This test is done in several phases:
- Ambient Levels: We measure natural levels of CO in your home to ensure
your typical home levels are not a potential cause of illness.
- We then create a 'worst case' scenario for potential back-drafting to ensure
there is no way for the homeowner to unintentionally sicken or
endanger the family.
- We perform spillage, draft and combustion analysis of combustion
equipment to ensure it is not producing harmful levels of CO and
sending them up the flue. This has two purposes, one is to ensure
optimum efficiency and the second is to ensure that if there was a
malfunction in this equipment, it would not spew harmful gasses into
the home, endangering the occupants.
- Gas leak detection: We test all gas lines from the meter throughout the home to ensure there is no unsafe leakage in your home. We do not 'Red Tag' homes,rather we inform you of issues and make recommendations for repairs.
- Mold, Humidity and Moisture tests: Tests are conducted for moisture andhumidity and a visual inspection for Mold. Many times Mold can be avoided or remediated by reducing moisture levels to acceptable ranges.
- Interior Inspection:All accessible areas of home are inspected for thermal integrity, including windows, doors, insulation levels, thermal bypasses between garage and attics etc. Data is collected to be entered in a computersimulated energy model for use in determining best options for improvement.
- Blower door test: The home is depressurized to simulate worst case conditions for air infiltration. Room by room inspection is conducted to isolate leakage issues. Minimun air exchange levels are calculated to ensure the home meetsproper air quality standards.>
- Optional Infrared Thermal Imaging Scan is conducted to identify unseen gaps
in insulation between walls and other inaccessible spaces.
- Duct work and HVAC system efficiency and integrity are inspected.
- Optional Duct pressurization test can be performed to isolate duct leakage
and distribution efficiency issues.
- Computer Modeling: A comprehensive interactive computer model is created
of the home to determine its relative efficiency based on other similar
homes. Based on observations during the audit and client goals, energy
efficiency projects are entered into the model and exact savings and ROI are
determined. This is a powerful tool to assist in determining the best way to
improve your building. A copy of this report is then provided to the client
shortly after the Audit.
- Follow Up Testing: Once the building owner has the suggested projects
completed, we return and re-test the building to ensure the intended results were attained.
Energy Audit Cost: Residential
- Residential standard test: $450 for up to 2500 sq ft. Over 2500 sq ft $.15/sq ft.
- Infrared Thermal Imaging Scan with pictures is free with an Energy Audit and
$250 without. Additional charges for travel time may be required when notconducting a full Audit.
- Duct Pressurization Testing: $200/ventilation system and must be conducted
with a Standard Energy Audit. This test requires access to all supply and return registers.
- Energy Star New Construction RESNET HERS Verification: Single family
home $500-700. Discounts are available for multiple home projects. Call for details.
Energy Audit Cost: Commercial
- All commercial rates are on a case by case basis. Please call for details.
- Services offered: Energy Audits, Energy Star Benchmarking, Energy Star Recognition, Grant, loan and tax credit identification
- Assistance with PA Small Business Energy Efficiency Grant Program.
Free Solar Evaluation Solar is more affordable than you think
Free Solar Evaluation
Our solar solutions pay for themselves in 7-10 years! Click the button above to receive a FREE site evaluation.